Friday 22 May 2015

How I'm dealing with approaching 30 and coping with being single!

I think a lot of people wait a while longer to have a mid life crisis but I could be suffering from one now!! 

After having a good talking to (several on messenger) by some of the wonderfully inspirational women in my life (thank you all) I do know that 30 will be absolutely fine if not fabulous....
 I do know that I will achieve everything I want to and, more importantly right now perhaps, everything I had thought I would have by now. And it's absolutely fine to do that in my own time. I'm the only one pressuring myself!! 

That said I'm going to deal with my emotions and worries in my own unique way.

I found a book on tidying last week. I joked with Dad about getting it for Mum and then bought it for myself. Apparently untidiness isn't hereditary - I have good cause to question that.

The book is an international best seller:

The life changing magic of tidying. By Marie Kondo

Tidying is something I've always struggled with.  Being in a long distance relationship and living on my own for the past 2 years has meant that I can get away with being untidy a lot of the time. And thus it's taken over a little... People coming round resulted in me throwing stuff into hiding places! 

I'm half way through the book and I've decided it's time for action!

Marie Kondo advises tidying by category and not by room. She also talks about discarding A LOT! 
If an item doesn't bring you joy then you should thank it for whatever joy it has given previously in your life and then discard it. I'm thinking the charity shop will benefit. 

I've decided it's the perfect time for clear out as it seems things will get messy first and it could take months!! Yikes! 
So where to start? Here's what the book says:

"For the first category – clothing – I recommend dividing items further into the following subcategories to increase efficiency:

 Tops (shirts, sweaters, etc.) 
Bottoms (trousers, skirts, etc.) 
Clothes that should be hung (jackets, coats, suits, etc.) 
Socks 
Underwear 
Handbags, etc. 
Extra items (scarves, belts, hats, etc.) 
Clothes for specific events (swimsuits, uniform, etc.) 
Shoes 

And, yes, I include handbags and shoes as clothing."

So I've had a go (I did a bit of report writing first and I will intersperse it with more.) 

I've found all of my clothing except for what's due to be washed... Here's the result of putting them all in one room...
I had to use pano!!
 Another angle:
It's terrifying!! 
How many clothes I have is excessive and I'd honestly forgotten about some of them!!

Also I had no room for shoes and bags so they are separate : 

The next step is to go through bit by bit working out which items your keeping (if they bring you joy) and what to discard. 

The book advises you not to share what you're throwing away with family and friends but I'll consider that more fully when I get there. 

The book also tells you to visualise the reason why you are doing this. She suggests this will help you to succeed and help to deal with any other underlying issues. 
So my reasoning... 

When I find my Prince Charming I dont want to 
a. Be tidying like a loon before his arrival or 
b. Have him thinking I'm a total slob and leave! 

I also want to feel house proud as part of my journey to independence and I think part of that requires a really good clear out. That and I won't feel so bad about buying new clothes for 30yr old Rachel! Who knows I might discover a new style 😉 

I'lol update on how it goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment