Sunday 10 August 2014

Stock take day 2

So despite the bed not being the comfiest (it also smells funny) and not having my usual nights sleep still a very successful Sunday of singing!

Here are my 20 things: 

1. I was brave enough to be the only female to write my name onto the informal concert list.
2. I sang Bantocks Song to the Seals in the informal concert.
3. Lots of people have now heard of Song to the Seals and love it! 
4. One lady who came over to compliment me on my singing suggested I try singing some Irish folk songs.
5. I got to watch some of visiting tutor Ann Murray's sessions.
 AM quotes and ideas: 
6. Imagine the phrase is like a piece of chewing gum. Pull it out as far as possible.
7. Look for 'house keeping moments' where you can relax a little, be less intense and focus in the words words words.
8. The softer you sing the more intensity is needed in the words. 
Session with Henry Herford. I sang Schubert Nachtstuck.
9. My German wasn't too bad (thanks for all te help Ann!).
10. Words to work on: 
Zeus the oo sound with the ee tongue (y)
Horcht - cannot get this one!!
11. Relax the arms (that one again!!) kind if managed it for short intervals today!
12. Even though it's sad and about death the man in the song sees death as a happy relief. Focus on the word kummer. 
13. Lead into the song with the whole body starting "Wenn uber" feel the vvv. Nebel - feel deep, low and broad

Watching Christine Cairns taking a master class: 
14. Showing the audience that you're confident - you can do it.
15. Making the audience wait for big moments - don't give it away too soon!
16. Keep the sounds going through the consonants "like a string of pearls" they need each other. 
17. "Sing every note like it means something - it is important" 
18. Making more space on a note so that the note isn't the ceiling. Practise going up higher than the note. Works a treat! 
19. Tonight's first concert was exciting and diverse. I really enjoyed having the chance to listen to so many songs and voices! 
20. The single best thing is discovering that the showers on the boys floor downstairs are far superior to our little weedy red hot showers!
Roll on breakfast at 7.40!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment