Saturday 30 August 2014

Singing in the future...

I've done a lot of thinking recently. In particular about singing and what I want to do. Lots of this went on at Abingdon and in the weeks since. I've been writing down my ideas.

Many of you may have heard me musing about trying to get onto a postgraduate course in order to concentrate on singing and see just what I could do. Well I've gone off that idea! I don't think I want it enough to give up my job, my house, have no money and from talking to people who are doing a post grad, or even an undergrad course, I've realised I'm not equipped with enough language skills and I'm not quite brave enough in complete honesty!

That said I do want to continue singing just as much...  so here is my plan:
I'm writing this down and making it public so that I've said it. It's out there and it's harder to take back (although I could probably delete this post! I won't!!).
I will also need some help and perhaps a little friendly bullying to stick to these things (I'll point out where exactly as I go along!).
I go back to school in a day and school will take over. I will neglect to practise, I will shout and loose my voice and feel so tired I just want to sleep (once I've marked and planned late into the evening). So please help me remember that I love singing, that it's all part of a bigger plan.

I'm going to split things into two sections; immediate things I can do * and things to work towards*.

* Find a Pilates course. (I'm cheating here - I always put something onto a list that I can already tick off - from an online search I found a course at my local leisure centre on a Thursday evening. Anyone want to come?)
* Go to Pilates course!!!
* Work on my everyday posture. I need to be more aware of this. Robin said you can change habits but you have to work at it. Pilates will aid me in this but anyone who see's me at any point during the week (I'm looking at work colleagues in particular) ask me if I'm standing correctly, I probably won't be to start with and I may even pull a face at you but it will really help me.
* Work towards diploma. I'm deliberating about when to do this. I could go for it in November. I'm just concerned that I am short on time for it by one piece. So that's 6 pieces to perfect and another to learn from scratch. With the busiest term ahead of me and a 2 week holiday in Florida I can't quite believe that I will manage it. I will ask when the next one is... I also need to find that final piece ASAP. Pass Diploma!
* Learn pieces for Oxjam concert in October. That's creeping closer! Eeek!!
* When practising think back to all the things I've been told and have learnt. Take one and try it. I'm guessing I will focus on posture initially and move on from there. I'm sure different pieces will need different things. I know that it will help when preparing  for my diploma as 6 of the pieces are ones I intend to sing.
* Go and see more music performances. Take Nick too!
* Look into helping with a youth choir again. I enjoyed that and I can see it being part of my future.
* Look out for/go on education music courses, choral courses, conducting courses to expand my knowledge,
* Learn Messiah
* Consider if I need more piano lessons or can I revise my scales and learn to play chords?! At the very least turn the clavinova on at least once a week and not just to plonk out notes for singing!!
* Make a list of other pieces I would love to be able to sing.
* Keep listening to the occasional language podcast. Don't be lazy and try to learn some.

I don't know what exactly I want to be doing in the future... teaching is hard work, it's rewarding and I do love it most of the time. I think to be able to combine this with my love of singing in some form would make me a very happy lady. So for now I need to learn as much as I can and equip myself for whatever comes along.
Now it's out there I think it's more likely to happen! :-) Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment